This happens all the time. My kids want a particular cereal then they decide after a few mornings or if they have a good run, a few boxes, that they dont want to eat it anymore and I am stuck with a jar full of cereal that wont get eaten. (I do the same thing with museli every year (at the start of summer)… I eat half of it then I’m over it, I always plan to make berchers museli, but never end up doing it). After I noticed the cornflakes jar was not going down, I asked my daughter if she was over eating cornflakes? Her answer was Yes! So I thought I’d give the chocolate chip cornflakes cookies my mother-in-law always makes a go. I am not sure why I haven’t made these before, because I always eat half a dozen when she whips up a batch.
So tonight I gave her a call, asked for the recipe and baked them. So as with most things I bake these days I am sharing this one with you guys. Here goes…
1 Cup Castor Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
2 Cups Self Raising Flour
150grams Choc Chips
4 Cups Corn Flakes
Preheat fan forced oven to 180C.
1. Cream the Butter and sugar.
2. Add the eggs and Vanilla Essence and keep beating.
3. Add the flour half a cup at a time until all combined.
4. Remove from mixed and add the chocolate chips (you can susitute the chocolate for saltanas also very very nice). I used smarties, as thats what I had in the cupboard, but I think these are nicer with the smaller choc bits. (or even mini m&m’s). Stir them through.
5. Add 2 cups of Cornflakes and mix thoroughly.
6. Put the remaining Cornflakes in a bowl.
7. With a tablespoon, Scoop out the mix and roll into a ball, then roll that through the bowl of cornflakes, thet dont expand a great deal so you can place them reasonable close together on the cookie tray.
8. Bake for about 15 minutes until they are golden.
9. Leave on the tray for about 5 minutes then transfer them to a cooking rack. (they will be soft but will harden up as they cool).
*If your Child is allergic to eggs use a large banana instead of the 2 eggs.
I hope you love these cornflake cookies as much as I do (I mean the kids do).
I am going to experiment with some of the other cereals that frequent my kitchen. I wonder how chocolate chip coco pop cookies will go ? Stay tuned. If you see them on here soon, it went well, if you dont… well lets not talk about it
Let me know how you go.